OPENING HOURS:    Mondays to Fridays:  2pm - 4pm   ·   Saturday:  10am - 4pm  ·   Sunday:   closed


Abbots Langley Church

abbots langley church

The Parish Church of St Lawrence the Martyr, Abbots Langley [above], stands on a site which has been a Christian burial ground for over 1000 years and on which formerly stood a Saxon Church, but the present church is Norman in origin; the tower was added during the 12th or 13th century and there are later additions. The church is mainly constructed from Totternhoe stone and flint but the church's ancient roof was partially destroyed by a fire in 1969. There are some faint Medieval wall paintings inside the church which were discovered during renovation work in the 1930s; and, despite being an Anglican Church, it contains a modern plaque to Nicholas Breakspear [below], born a few miles away at Bedmond, who, as Adrian IV, became the only English pope.

nicholas breakspear