OPENING HOURS: Mondays to Fridays: 2pm - 4pm · Saturday: 10am - 4pm · Sunday: closed
Although there has been a house on the site of The Grove for at least 600 years, the current building dates from 1756, with additions in 1780, 1786 and 1875 giving the building that stands there today. From 1735, The Grove was the family seat of the Earls of Clarendon and remained in the family's possession after the 6th Earl moved to Hampstead in 1922, becoming successively a gardening school, hotel and health centre, and a girls' boarding school.
In 1935, the estate was sold to Equity and Law Life Assurance who in turn sold it to the London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company in 1939. It made a vital contribution to the war effort as the railway company's operational headquarters. After nationalisation of the railways in 1948, ownership passed to the British Transport Commission and later to the British Railways Board, serving as a Work Study Training Centre, then Civil Engineering Training Centre and finally a Management Training Centre. In 1996, the estate was bought by a hotel group who laid out a golf course within the grounds and converted the house once more into a de-luxe hotel which opened in 2003. Access is from the Chandlers Cross-Langleybury road.