OPENING HOURS: Mondays to Fridays: 2pm - 4pm · Saturday: 10am - 4pm · Sunday: closed
There was a settlement in this part of the Colne Valley as far back as the Stone Age and this period has been divided into four sections by modern historians. The latest of these is referred to as the Neolithic Age, which preceded the Bronze Age, and at the latest was 1,000 years B.C. The three rivers, the Colne, the Gade and the Chess; may have attracted early man to this district, for the land is more fertile in the valleys.
Rickmansworth came within the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, which came into being around the year 600 A.D. and included much of the land between the Thames and the Trent. During the reign of King Offa, Mercia became the most powerful of the English kingdoms. King Offa gave Rickmansworth to the Abbot of St.Albans in the eighth century.
Henry III, who reigned over England from 1216 until 1272, granted a market charter to the town after he came of age. He came to the throne at the age of nine and the affairs of state were in the hands of W Marshall, H de Burgh and the Earl of Pembroke whilst the young king was a minor.
A charter of liberties was granted to the town by the Abbots of St Albans. After the dissolution of the monasteries, ownership of Rickmansworth reverted to the Crown. It was then given to Bishop Nicholas Ridley in 1550, after he had replaced Bonner as the Bishop of London. When Mary Tudor came to the throne, Ridley, Latimer and Cranmer supported Lady Jane Grey in opposition to her. Ridley was deprived of his bishopric and thrown into prison.
Bonner was released from prison and reinstated as Bishop of London. The advowson of Rickmansworth church was then given to Edmund Bonner and those who succeeded him as the Bishop of London.
Ridley and his friend, Hugh Latimer, Bishop of Worcester, were condemned to death and burned at the stake in Oxford in October 1555.
There are still some old buildings in the High Street of Rickmansworth. One of these, Basing House, was the home for a number of years of William Penn, son of Admiral Penn. William attended Quaker meetings and accepted their views and beliefs for which he was expelled from the university of Oxford.
On the death of his father, William Penn inherited a claim on the Government of œ16,000 and he took it in territories in North America. In 1682 he went there to lay the foundations of his colony, Pennsylvania, returning to England about the time of the death of Charles II. Although James II favoured the Roman church, in direct opposition to the views held by William Penn, he allowed him free access to the court, because of the great respect in which he had held young Penn's father.
William Penn married Gulielma Springett and soon after their marriage they came to Rickmansworth and nade their home in Basing House.
The parish church is dedicated to St.Mary the Virgin. The tower is the only part of an earlier building which was demolished in 1826. Sixty-four years later this building too, was taken down to be replaced by the present church. The tower is thought to be of the l4th Century, but may well have been built much earlier than that. It carries a peal of ten bells and a sanctus bell, dated 1654. Seven of the others were cast in 1765 and two in 1936, one of which commemorates the Jubilee of George V. The tenth bell is of uncertain origin, but was recast in 1913.
There is documentary evidence that a church of some kind was in existence in Rickmansworth in the year 1119, for it was then that the Abbot of St.Albans claimed eggs, poultry and pigs as tithes due to him for the upkeep of the Abbey. The first priest mentioned as the vicar of the parish was Richard de Chelveston, who began his ministry in his ministry in 1270 A document dated about the same time as the tithes claim mentions a chaplain of Rickmansworth named Adam, so it seems quite likely that the present building is the fourth.
Published by the council's information and press officer at 17/23 High Street, Rickmansworth, Herts Tel R.776611
Rickmansworth, a chronology
Rickmansworth is known to have been inhabited since the Stone Age - various flints have been found in local gravel pits (these gravels would have been laid down during or after the Ice Age)
Neolithic Age - preceded the Bronze Age i.e. 5 - 4000 BC (the three rivers Colne, Gade and Chess may have attracted early man to this area).
c1800 BC man began to use bronze tools/weapons - evidence has been found in the Chess Valley.
Iron Age - 700 BC traces of occupation during this period have been found in the Chess Valley and at Harefield. (Roman invasion 55 and 54 BC)
1st Century BC the local tribe here, the Catuvellauni, had probably become quite civilised - this tribe may also have been some of the original Britons to fight against Julius Caesar s invasion.
Britain was left alone for many years by the Romans until 43 AD when they returned and settled (amongst many other areas) in all the river valleys around. There is evidence of Roman villas along these valleys - Latimer, Sarratt and the Chess Valley - and at Moor Park golf course along the Colne Valley and also another at Sandy Lodge. In the hypocaust ashes of a building excavated at Moor Park four coins were found and a bronze finger ring engraved with a device of an ear of corn or branch flanked by two birds. Similar designs are known from five other rings of the 4th Century found in Britain.
4th Century AD Britain was subjected to numerous Saxon raids from the continent.
At the beginning of 5th Century AD Britain was no longer controlled by the Roman Empire after the breakdown of Government in Rome. This caused a decline in the local economy. The country did not revert to uncivilised ways immediately, the breakdown was gradual.
Evidence shows that the Moor Park villa was still in use into the middle of the 5th Century but then fell into decline.
Dark Ages - very little is known about this specific period, although this are was under the rule of the Saxon king, Offa, whose kingdom was called Mercia.
King Offa founded the Abbey of St Alban and died in 79AD. He was succeeded by his son Egfrith who to gain favour presented the Manor of Pynnelsfeld, West Hyde and 5 farmsteads to the Abbey. During this period Rickmansworth is known to have been a settlement and its name is derived from the Saxon personal name "Rykmer" arid "worth" which means farm - i.e. Rykers farm, - Rykmeresworth.
In the Domesday Survey it was recorded under the name of the Manor of Prichemeresworde.
793 Offa, King of Mercia, granted the Abbey St Alban forest land to the south-west of the abbey.
1048 - 1066 app Five hides of land at Croxley, (in the newly formed Manor of Rickmansworth), were defined as a home farm for the Abbey of St Alban.
"The Abbot of St Albans held Rickmansworth in Albanestan Hundred. It was rated at 15 hides. The arable is now 20 carucates, in desmesne 5 hides, and there are 3 carucates and two more may be made.
There are 4 Frenchmen born and 20 villeins with 9 barders, hauing 14 carucates and now one more may be made. There are 5 cottagers and 5 servants and one mill worth 5s 4d. Meadows 4 carucates, in fish 4s. by the year, common and pasture, for the cattle, wood to feed 1200 hogs.
In the whole value it is worth £20 10s by the year, when he received it £12, in the time of King Edward £20. He held and doth hold the manor in the demesne of St Albans."
1086 Prichermeresworde valued at £20 l0s in the Domesday Book.
Land for 20 ploughs. Inhabitants: 4 French, 41 labourers.
1100 - 50 app Substantial properties within the Manor of Rickmansworth were granted as knights fees , including Batchworth, Pinesfield, Woodwicks and the demesne lands of Croxley.
1219 The church at Rickmansworth confirmed to the Abbey of St Alban.
1257 The Manor of Croxley reverted to the ownership of the Abbey of St Alban.
1269 Batchworth was granted the right to hold an annual fair.
1294 November - Rickmansworth was visited by Edward, Prince of Wales.
c1300 The Manor of Pinesfield reverted to the ownership of the Abbey St Alban.
1381 Revolt of the tenants of St Albans Abbey. A charter was issued to Rickmansworth confirming their rights but it was rescinded three weeks later.
c1400 Croxley Tythe Barn [right] built. (actually it was not a "tythe" barn, it was a kitchen" barn for the abbey.)
1426 Licence given to the owner of the Manor of the More, William Flete, to enclose 600 acres of Rickmansworth and Watford lands to form Moor Park.
1456 Ralph de Boteler, Lord Chamberlain to Henry VI, held the Manor at Moor and Park.
1460 The Manor of the More and the Park reverted to St Albans Abbey.
c1469 George Nevil Archbishop of York leased the Manor of the More.
1472 George Nevil arrested and the Manor of the More seized by Edward IV.
1486 John de Vere, Earl of Oxford, granted the Manors of Mare, Ashleys, Batchworth, Brightwell and Eastbury in tail male by Henry VII.
c1500 The White Bear built.
1513 10th March - John de Vere, Earl of Oxford, died without male heirs so the Manor of the More and its accampanying manors reverted to the crown.
April - Manor of the More leased to Thomas, Bishop of Durham, for seventy years an annual rent of £62 0s 4d.
1514 Linsters Estate, part of the Manor of Ashleys, leased to the Masters of the Savoy Hospital, London, by the Crown.
1515 May - The Manor of the More granted to the Abbey of St Albans for 3,000 marks subject to the lease held by the Bishop of Durham.
1522 Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, Chancellor of England, became Abbot of Albans Abbey in commendam.
Arson attack on Rickmansworth Church, possibly by Lollard extremists. Wolsey's Indulgence issued granting 100 days release from purgatory to all those who would repair Rickmansworth Church.
1525 30th August - The Treaty of the More (a peace treaty between England and France) was signed at the Manor of the More.
1529 10th - 29th September - King Henry VIII and Queen Catherine of Aragon stayed at the Manor of the More, as guests of Cardinal Wolsey.
1530 29th November - The Abbot of St Albans Abbey, in commendam Cardinal thomas Wolsey, died.
1531 5th September - The Abbot of St Albans, Robert Catton, granted King Henry VIII the Abbey lands of the More, Ashleys, Batchworth, Brightwell and Eastbury.
King Henry VIII granted Sir John Russell the post of Keeper of the Manor of the More and Bailiff of the Lordship of the Manor of Rickmansworth.
November 1531 to May 1532 - Queen Catherine of Aragon resided at the Manor of the More.
1535 The Manor of Rickmansworth leased to William Hutchyson for 40 years.
1538 The Manor of Croxley was leased to William Baldwin of Red Heath for 44 years.
1539 9th December - Robert Boreman (or Stevenage); Abbot of St Albans Abbey surrendered the Abbey of St Albans.
The Bury, the farm of the Manor of Rickmansworth, leased to John Palmer for 31 years.
The Manor of Pinesfield leased to John Randulph for 41 years.
1541 Henry VIII and Queen Catherine Howard stayed at the Manor of the More for three weeks.
1542 The Bailiff, men and inhabitants of Rickmansworth were granted a licence by Henry VIII to hold a Saturday market and a fair on the feast of the Assumption.
1544 Mill at Rickmansworth leased to William Hutchinson, yeoman of the spicery, and his wife Janet.
1550 April - Edward VI granted the Church, Manor, Rectory and Advowson of the Vicarage of Rickmansworth to the Bishop and Diocese of London.
The Manor of Pinesheld also granted to the Bishop and Diocese of London.
The Manor of Croxley granted to Robert Lee.
1551 John Russell, Earl of Bedford, surrendered the offices of Keeper of the Manor and Park of More, and Bailiff of the Lordship or Manor of Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire and it was re-granted to the Earl of Bedford and his son Francis Russell in survivorship.
1553 Linsters Manor granted to St Thomas's Hospital, London.
1556 The Manor of the More taken into the charge of the Court of Augmentations.
1556/7 The Manor of Croxley granted to John Caius, Physician to Queen Elizabeth.
1557 The Manor of Croxley used to endow Gonville College, Cambridge, by John Caius.
1558 Reversion of the Manor of Wey granted to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, John Caius (left).
The Manor of the More granted to the Duchy of Lancaster.
John Palmer, lessee of The Bury, the farm of the Manor of Rickmansworth, died.
He bequeathed the remaining twelve years of his lease to his wife Margaret.
1559 The Manors of Rickmansworth and Pinesfield acquired by Queen Elizabeth in lieu of Impropriated Churches granted to the Bishop of London.
1563 Rickmansworth Mill leased to John Wylson.
1570 Woodwicks Manor held by Robert Colte.
1573 The Bury, the farm of the Manor of Rickmansworth, leased to Margaret Palmer, widow of John Palmer for 21 years.
1576 The Manor of More and Moore Park granted to Francis Russell, 2nd Earl of Bedford, at a rental of £120 per annum by Queen Elizabeth.
The mill of Rickmansworth Manor leased to Richard Master, the Queen's Servant.
1585 28th July - Francis Russell, 2nd Earl of Bedford, owner of the Manor of the More and Moor Park, died and was succeeded by his grandson Edward, aged 11.
1586 Lynsters Farm leased to Rowland Beresford for 21 years.
1588/9 The Bury, the farm of the Manor of Rickmansworth, leased to Francis Palmer for 21 years.
1589 Rev William Edmonds BA, instituted Vicar of Rickmansworth.
1591 The Manors of Rickmansworth and Pinesfield confirmed as in the ownership of Queen Elizabeth.
1591/2 Pinesfield Manor leased to George Kirkham for 21 years.
1610 The Bury House and grounds leased to Sir Gilbert Wakering for 60 years.
The Lordship and Manor of Rickmansworth granted to Henry, Prince of Wales.
1614 Edward Russell, 3rd Earl of Bedford and his wife Lucy, Countess of Bedford, took up residence at Moor Park.
1616 The Lordship of the Manor of Rickmansworth granted to trustees for Charles, Prince of Wales.
1620 Edward Russell, 3rd Earl of Bedford and his wife Lucy built a seventeen roomed mansion in Moor Park.
1621 The Manor of Rickmansworth mortgaged to Sir Richard Smith.
1627 3rd May - Edward Russell, Earl of Bedford, died. 26th May - Lucy, Countess of Bedford, died.
The Manor of the Moor and Moor Park bought by William Herbert, 3rd Earl of Pembroke.
1628 William Herbert, 3rd Earl of Pembroke, becarne Lord of the Manors of Rickmansworth (including the market house) and Pinesfield.
1630 William Herbert, 3rd Earl of Pembroke, owner of the Manor of the Moor and Moor Park, and the Manors of Rickmansworth (including the market house) and Pinesfield died and was succeeded by his brother Philip.
1631 Philip, 4th Earl of Pembroke, sold the Manor of the Moor to Sir Charles Harbord and the Mansion and Park of More to Robert Carey, Earl of Monmouth.
1632 The Manors of Rickmansworth and Pinesfield sold by Philip, 4th Earl of Pembroke to Thomas Fotherley.
1639 Robert Carey, Earl of Monmouth, owner of Moor Park died aged 80 and was buried in Rickmansworth Church.
1640 31st March - Thomas Fotherley knighted at Whitehall by Charles 1.
1641 Edward Forde published A Design for bringing a navigable river from Rickmansworth in Hertfordshire to St Giles in the Fields, (London) .
1644 Thomas Walley intruded as Vicar of Rickmansworth.
1646 George Swinnock appointed Vicar of Rickmansworth by the Committee of Plundered Ministers after the resignatian of Thomas Walley.
1649 James, Job and Edward Lane of Shepherds Farm, Rickmansworth, emigrated to America.
Sir Thomas Fotherley, Lord of the Manor of Rickmansworth and tenant of Parsonage Farm, died and was succeeded by his son John.
1652 John Fotherley appointed Sheriff af the County of Hertford.
1655 Sir Charles Harbard sold the Manar of the More to Sir Richard Franklin.
Henry Carey, 2nd Earl of Monmouth, sold Moor Park to Sir Richard Franklin.
1657 John Beresfard of Rickmansworth appointed Sheriff of Hertfordshire.
1660 Rev William Edmonds restored as Vicar of Rickmansworth.
1661 Henry Carey, 2nd Earl of Monmouth, died at Rickrnansworth and was buried in the parish church.
1663 John Beresford died and bequeathed two tenements in Rickmansworth High Street for Almshouses.
1664 James Butler, Duke of Ormonde and his wife Elizabeth, purchased Moor Park for £10,500 from Sir Richard Franklin.
1666 Thamas Butler, Earl of Ossory, son of the Duke of Ormonde, summoned to the English House of Lords as Lord Butler of Moore Park.
1667 A Skidmore token (right) survives showing Batchworth bridge.
1670 Moor Park Mansion sold by Duke of Ormonde to James Fitzroy, Duke of Monmouth, natural son of Charles II.
1672 4th April - William Penn and Gulielma Springett married at Kings Farm, Chorleywood and set up house in Rickmansworth.
Sir Richard Franklin sold the Manor of the More to Sir John Bucknall.
1675 Richard Baxter, the Presbyterian Divine, preached at Rickmansworth church. He also had a day-long debate with William Penn.
1678/9 James, Duke of Monmouth, erected a new house in Moor Park.
1681 William Ford died and bequeathed £100 to buy land, the rent of which was to be used for the benefit of the poor.
1682 Almshouses constructed in Rickmansworth High Street by John Fotherley, Lord of the Manor of Rickmansworth.
1685 James, Duke of Monmouth, owner of Moor Park conspired to overthrow his uncle, James II.
15th July - James, Duke of Monmouth, was executed for his part in the Monmouth Rebellion and his estates were sequestered.
1688 The widowed Duchess of Monmouth, owner of Moor Park, married Lord Cornwallis.
1690 Rev John James instituted Vicar of Rickmansworth.
1702/3 14th January - John Fotherley, Lord of the Manor of Rickmansworth was buried, aged about 80.
1703 The Manor of Rickmansworth passed to John Fotherley's widow, Dorothy.
1708 Lady Ann Franklin by her will directed that a yearly sum of £10, free of taxes, issuing out of the Moor Park estate, should be distributed amongst the poor
1709 Mrs Dorothy Fotherley, Lady of the Manor of Rickrnansworth, buried at Rickmansworth Parish Church.
Temple Whitfeld, nephew of Mrs Dorothy Fotherley, inherited the Manor of Rickmansworth.
1711 Rickmansworth Charity School founded by the Rev John James, Vicar of Rickmansworth.
1720 Benjamin Styles bought Moor Park mansion from the Duchess of Monmouth.
The Elms in the High Street and The Cedars at Money Hill were built.
c1720 Salter and Woodman's brewery was built in the High St.
1722 Batchworth Bridge renewed by Temple Fotherley Whitfeld.
1730 9th December Temple Fotherley Whitfeld died and was succeeded by his brother Henry.
1735 Henry Fotherley Whitfeld died, succeeded by Henry his son.
1739 4th April - Benjamin H. Styles died and his nephew, Francis Haskins Eyles Styles succeeded to the estate.
1740 Basing House re-built. Cart and Horses PH. (Vantage Chemists corner in the High Street) built.
1744 Batchworth Bridge renewed by Henry Fotherley Whitfeld.
1746 Solesbridge Mill started paper production.
1747 Henry Fotherley Whitfeld died. (11th January 1748 by current calendar)
1750 Samuel Salter, of Salter's Brewery, died.
1752 (or 4) Lord Anson purchased Moor Park from Court of Chancery.
The picture left dates from 1720.
1757 Scotsbridge, Hamper and Batchworth Mills started paper production.
1758 John Alexander vicar of Rickmansworth.
Loudwater Mill started paper production.
1762 Henry Fotherley Whitfeld chosen Sheriff of Hertfordshire.
1763 Moor Park purchased by Sir Laurence Dundas from Thomas Anson.
1785 Sir Thomas Dundas sold Moor Park to Thomas Bates Rous, director of the East India Coy.
1793 Parliamentary Act for the building of the Grand Junction Canal from Braunston to Brentford via Rickmansworth passed.
1796 Grand Junction Canal became operational from Rickmansworth to Brentford.
1797 First Good Fellowship Society founded in Rickmansworth at the Swan by Thomas Dawbinney, the inn keeper.
1801 Robert Williams bought Moor Park estate.
1802 The Barn at the back of the Coach and Horses P.H. registered as a meeting place for the Baptist Community in the town.
1805 Salter's Arm on the Grand Junction Canal constructed.
c1805 Rickmansworth Park House built.
1806 Market House pulled down in centre of Rickmansworth High Street and re-erected in line with the shops.
Thellusson Trustees bought Pinesfield Manor from Henry Fotherley Whitfeld.
Rickmansworth Silk Mill opened. (M&S site)
1807 Original pair of John Beresford Almshouses pulled down and four new Almshouses built further back on the site in the High Street.
1809 Batchworth Mill was bought by the Grand Junction Canal Coy for £16,400 and later sold to John Dickinson in 1818.
1811 Rickmansworth Parish Statistics: population 3230, acreage 10,021.
1813 Henry Fotherley-Whitfield of The Bury and Rickmansworth Park died.
1815 Shepherds Farm bought by the Thellusson Trustees.
First Methodist Society met in a cottage at Bankside Downs.
Woodoaks Manor bought by Robert and William Williams from Samuel and Hannah Leightenstone.
1817 The Boys half of the Rickmansworth Charity School moved to the Market House.
1818 Rickmersworth Association formed (for the defence of their property).
1820 White Hart Inn (the site of Boots the chemist in the High Street) closed.
The Brewhouse at the Gorrells, west of Bury Lane, closed.
John Dickinson purchased Batchworth Mill.
1821 Rickmansworth Parish Statistics: population 3940, acreage 10,021.
1826 The Pre-reformation church at Rickmansworth demolished and a Commissioners Church built in its place. Architect: William Atkinson
1827 Woodoaks Farm purchased by Thellusson Trustees.
1828 Moor Park bought by Robert 2nd Earl Grosvenor.
1829 The Bury sold to Alfred George Muskett.
The Lordship of the Manor of Rickmansworth sold to William Windale.
Samuel Salter died.
1831 The Lordship of the Manor of Rickmansworth sold to William Dimes.
Rickmansworth Park bought by Mrs Temperance Arden, widow of John Arden of Islington.
Robert 2nd Earl Grosvenor became Marquis of Westminster on the occasion of William IV s coronation.
Rickmansworth Parish Statistics: population 4574, acreage 10,021.
1833 King William and Queen Adelaide visited Moor Park on l6th June as guests of the Westminsters. William Dimes forced to rebuild Batchworth Bridge as he was Lord of the Manor of Rickmansworth. A cast iron bridge was installed.
Kings College Cambridge bought Troy Farm, West Hyde.
1834 Rickmansworth Court of Foresters (Prince Albert) founded.
1836 Emmot Skidmore of Frogmore House died. The former Rickmansworth Poor House was purchased for a new Charity School.
1837 September - Rickmansworth Workhouse site sold for £137 13s 5d to form premises for new school. (now next Baptist Church)
1841 Census figures for Rickmansworth Parish; population 5,026, acreage 10,021.
1843 Baptist Chapel built in the High Street at a cost of £800. Methodist Chapel built in the High Street. Joseph Arden inherited Rickmansworth Park estate after the death of his mother, Mrs Temperance Arden.
1845 6th May: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury at West Hyde consecrated.
James Green first incumbent. 3rd December: A new ecclesiastical parish was formed in Chorleywood. Robert Grosvenor, 1st Marquis of Westminster, owner of Moor Park estate, died l7th December.
1846 Herringsgate Farm sold in March to Fergus O Connor on behalf of the Chartist Land Company. 21st October - Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visited Moor Park Mansion when staying at Cassiobury. 3rd Novernber: West Hyde became a separate ecclesiastical parish. Eleanor, Marchioness of Westminster died and Lord Robert Grosvenor inherited the Moor Park Estate in November.
1847 1st May - Opening ceremony of the O Connorville estate at Heronsgate.
1848 Herbert Ingram, proprietor of the Illustrated London News bought Loudwater Mill because he wanted to manufacture his own paper. He subsequently built his house, called Glen Chess, alongside.
1849 Queen Dowager visited Moor Park Mansion with Queen Victoria and Albert.
1851 Census figures for Rickmansworth Parish: population 4,851, acreage 14,021.
The National School in the High Street built in front of the old workhouse.
Triumphal Arch built for Queen Victoria when she passed through the town.
1852 Rickmansworth Gas Light & Coke Company formed.
1854 Queen Victoria and Prince Albert pay a return visit to Moor Park Mansion.
Forrester's Court Prince Albert formed in Rickmansworth.
1856 Land for Chorleywood Road cemetery bought from Parsonage Farm.
1857 February: St Mary's Churchyard closed for burials.
Lord Robert Grosvenor raised to the peerage as 1st Baron Ebury.
O'Connorville estate sold at auction.
1858 1st May - Opening ceremony of the O'Connorville estate at Heronsgate.
1860 3rd July: Watford & Rickmansworth Railway Act received The Royal Assent.
22nd November - first sod cut for the Watford - Rickmansworth Railway.
Gerald Massey, the poet, lived at The Limes, Rickrnansworth High Street (now Watersmeet) for a period of four years about this time.
1861 Part of Townfield, Parsonage Farm, sold as a site for an Infants school, Parsonage Rd School.
A Parliamentary Act changed the area on which coal taxes were to be paid to the Metropolitan Police Districts and therefore Coal Posts were set up on the Middlesex county boundary. Stockers House built for the Collector of Coal Duties, on Stockers Farm land.
A school was built in West Hyde.
1861 Census figures for Rickmansworth: population 4,873, acreage 10,021.
1862 1st October: Watford & Rickrnansworth Railway opened to traffic.
1863 Rev Dr William Flavell Hurndall opened Cedars School for boys in the Riverside estate Money Hill.
1864 A house in Talbot Road became Rickmansworth's Police Station until 1897.
W H Brown was appointed master of the Rickmansworth Boys National School and remained until he retired May 1894.
1865 Rev Robert Bayne, Minister of Rickmansworth Baptist Church, wrote two books on the locality called Rickmansworth and its neighbourhood and Moor Park .
1866 Methodist Chapel (built on the corner of Wharf Lane and the High Street to replace the one burnt down in 1865. The chapel was consecrated on 26th November.
1867 Lord Robert Grosvenor, 1st Baron Ebury; bought the Manor of the Moor from Thomas Sotherton whose family had owned it since 1672, thereby reuniting the Manor and Park of More.
Penny Reading Society started in Rickrnansworth with W.H. Brown, headmaster of the Rickmansworth Boys National School as the first secretary.
1868 John Saunders Gilliat, owner of the Chorleywood Cedars, purchased the Lordship of the Manor of Rickmansworth.
1869 Rickmansworth Town Hall Company was registered in May and the new Town Hall building formally opened at Christmas.
1870 Gilham's Boot Manufacturer's shop opened in the High Street (now Thomas Cook).
Rickmansworth voluntary Fire Brigade formed with Thomas Fellowes as its captain. He was Salter's brewery manager
1871 Census figures for Rickmansworth Parish: population 5,337, acreage 10,021.
Parsonage Farm bought by John Saunders Gilliat of Chorleywood Cedars for £8,500.
1872, 25th June: All Saints Church, Croxley Green, consecrated and subsequently the ecclesiastical parish of Croxley Green was formed.
1874 Enlarged school for girls and infants opened on the Parsonage Road site.
27th July - Mill End National School for Girls and Infants opened.
Harrow and Rickmansworth Railway Act passed.
(Repealed 1878 without any work being carried out)
West Hyde School opened to become the West Hyde National School.
1875, 1st April: St Peter's Church at Mill End consecrated and subsequently the ecclesiastical parish of Mill End was forrned with Charles Wallace Neild as vicar.
George Eliot (pen name of Mary Ann Evans) took a house (The Elms) at Rickmansworth for the summer whilst she was writing the novel called Daniel Deronda .
1879 Lord Ebury purchased The Bury and its grounds, at Rickmansworth.
October - John William Birch bought Rickmansworth Park estate after the death of his father-in-law, Joseph Arden.
1880 6th August: Rickmansworth (Extension) Railway Act passed.
Rickmansworth Silk Mill appears to have closed this year.
1881 Census figures for Rickmansworth Parish: population 5,511, acreage 10,021.
1883 H J Dyer became Minister of the Rickmansworth Baptist Chapel, later together with Mill End and Harefield Chapels.
Rev. Dr Hurndall's Cedars School closed due to his illness.
Inebriates Association acquired the Cedars School premises and opened a treatment hostel.
1884 Rickmansworth Water Company's first act passed.
1885 Loudwater Mill closed down due to legal action against them for polluting the river Chess.
Riots on election night, Rickmansworth Conservative Committee Rooms attacked by mob.
Rickmansworth & Uxbridge valley Water Company formed by a new act.
1886 A chancel was added to the chapel at Heronsgate and it was re-opened on 6th October as St John the Evangelist, Heronsgate.
1887 Metropolitan Railway completed from Harrow to Rickmansworth.
1st September: the first train ran from Baker Street to Rickmansworth.
1888 Solesbridge Mill and Mill End Mill closed down when owner George Austin became bankrupt.
Work began building the R&UV Waterworks at Drayton Ford and the reservoir at the Swillett.
1889 Foundation stone for Salter's Brewery in the High Street laid.
RUVWC works at Drayton Ford opened and piped supplies became available in Rickmansworth.
Goodlake Memorial Hall built at West Hyde.
Last day of Defiance stage coach between Chenies, Rickrnansworth and Piccadilly.
1890 St Mary's Church Rickmansworth rebuilt except for the tower; Arthur Bloomfield was the architect.
Mill End Mill re-opened by the newly formed Mill End Paper Coy. Continuing business until 1905.
London and County Bank built in the High Street (later Westminster & then National Westminster) .
1891 Census figures for Rickmansworth Parish: population 6,974, acreage 10,021.
Fire Station in the High Street built at the expense of Dr Henderson of Basing House.
Dowager Lady Ebury, wife of 1st Baron Ebury of Moor Park, died.
1893 Lord Ebury, 1st Baron Ebury, died in November aged 92.
1894 Under the Local Government Act of this year Rickrnansworth opted to have a Parish Council rather than be a part of greater Watford in the Watford Urban District Council.
The first Parish Councillors were elected at a meeting on 4th December.
Tom Bevan appointed headmaster of Rickmansworth Boys National School.
Beresford Almshouses built in Bury Lane, replacing those of the same name in High Street.
1895 Albert Freeman came to Rickmansworth in May to be surveyor to the Rickmansworth Highway Board, and later to the UDC.
1896 Rickmansworth News published.
Rev C. Wallace Neild, first Vicar of St Peter s, Mill End, died in December.
1897 Police Station opened in the High Street adjoining the Fire Station.
John Wm Birch died and the Rickmansworth Park estate was inherited by his wife, Julia.
1898 Rickmansworth achieved Urban District Council status; population 5,780 and acreage of UDC 572, included were Rickmansworth Town, Batchworth, Croxley to the rear of New Road and Mill End to Long Lane.
Henry Lomas was Clerk to the Council.
29th December. Inauguration of Rickmansworth Traders Association.
1899 l7th January. Inaugural General Meeting of the Rickmansworth Traders Association held at Fire Engine House. Colin Taylor elected President.
Barclays Bank in Church Street erected.
Rickrnansworth & Uxbridge Valley Water Company acquired Batchworth Mill
1900 Franklin's Mineral Waters took over the old silk mill at the West End of the High Street.
Proposal to build a trarnway from Watford to Rickmansworth launched.
Gravel extraction started on Bury Farm by Daniel Bone, tenant farmer.
1901 Sewerage scheme started in Rickmansworth. 1,800 acres of land at Batchworth purchased from Lord Ebury for a sewage farm at a cost of £375.
October: Ebury Rooms opened - Lord Ebury donated them - a former Mission Rooms.
Census figures - Rickmansworth Civil Parish: population 8,232 and acreage 10,021.
UDC: population 5,640, acreage 572, houses 1,274.
Rickmansworth Cycling Club for Men started. Horse troughs at the top of Scots Hill and at the junction of High Street and Uxbridge Road donated by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association. Money had been collected by Mrs Ibbotson & others from the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.
1902 Messrs H. W. Sabey & Coy excavated Batchworth Meadows for gravel - the lake thus formed became known as Sabey's Pool.
Rickmansworth Gravel Coy formed and started extracting gravel at Croxley Long Valley Woods.
1903 Floods in Rickmansworth in June - 18" of water along Harefield Road.
1904 7th March - first house in Rickmansworth connected to the new sewerage scheme.
Rickmansworth Gas Coy acquired by the Rickmansworth UDC for £26,950.
The Religious Order of the Daughters of Jesus established themselves in Rickmansworth.
(1904 The White Bear, Batchworth, before rebuilding in 1913.)
Part of a view taken from the chimney of Batchworth Mill when it was about to be demolished and after the Rickmansworth Water Coy had bought the site. The rebuilt White Bear public house can be seen in the lower left corner. Wm Dime's Iron bridge of 1836 over the Colne is in the lower foreground.
1905 Beaumont House School founded in Heronsgate with Walter Giffard as headmaster.
William Henry Walker set up as a coal and tirnber merchant on land in Harefield Road.
Mill End Paper Coy sold to Peter Clutterbuck.
Rickmansworth UDC acquired new council offces in Church Street.
1906 The bed of the old mill stream of Batchworth Mill was filled in for the widening of the London Road.
St Monicas school, a free elementary school for Catholic children, opened in Rickmansworth High Street.
1909 Swimming pool in Ebury Road was opened on land presented by Lord Ebury.
Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic church opened on 26th October by Archbishop Bourne.
First Rickmansworth Scout Troop formed, known as 'Lady Ebury's own'.
Joan of Arc Convent opened at Englefield, 11 High Street, Rickmansworth.
1910 A Golf course at Sandy Lodge was opened. Sandy Lodge Halt on the Metropolitan Line opened.
Rickmansworth's first cinema, the Electric Picture House, opened in the converted Town Hall in the High St.
1911 Ebury Recreation Ground opened by Lord Ebury on land given to the town by him.
Census: Rickmansworth Civil Parish: 9,844 people and 10,021 acres.
Rickmansworth UDC area: 6,288 people, 572 acres and 1,447 houses.
1912 The mill at Mill End demolished.
J.S.Gilliat of The Cedars, Chorleywood, died. He was the Lord of the Manor of Rickmansworth from 1868-1912.
Rickmansworth Golf Club formed.
1913 The White Bear public house at Batchworth rebuilt.
Rickmansworth Urban District increased its acreage from 572 to 2,818 with the inclusion of Croxley as far as Cassio Bridge, Loudwater and Heronsgate from Rickmansworth Rural District Council; population now 2,011 and 1,590 houses.
W. H. Walker & Bros purchased the freehold of Batchworth Lake for £3,600 plus £200 for the surrounding land from the Moor Park Estate.
1914 A county council school was opened in West Hyde next door to the church of St Thomas.
Croxley and Mill End gravel pits were excavated on behalf of the British Museum
1915 600 soldiers and 500 horses with gun carriages of the Third London Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, were stationed in the town from March to May.
1917 Rickmansworth and Chorleywood War Savings Association started with Albert Freeman as Hon Treasurer.
Mrs Julia Birch of Rickmansworth Park estate died aged 89.
1918 Thirty German prisoners of war quartered in the Stables of Rickmansworth Park.
Robert Wellesley Grosvenor, 2nd Baron Ebury of Moor Park died in November aged 84.
1919 Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd bought 454 acres of the Chorleywood Cedars estate for £40,000 from Col. Babington Gilliat.
1920 A German howitzer was presented to the town by the War Office and placed in the Ebury Recreation Ground.
House numbering started in Rickmansworth.
Lord Leverhulme took purchased Moor Park Estate and formed Moor Park Ltd to develop its potential.
1921 Census: UDC: population 7,150, acreage 2818, houses 1,67l.
Rickmansworth area: population 7,515, acreage 2790.
The first council houses in Rickmansworth were completed at Grove Road, Mill End and Gonville Avenue, Croxley Green.
31st July - Rickmansworth War Memorial unveiled at Ebury Recreation Ground by Field Marshal Earl of Cavan.
Rickmansworth Branch of the Royal British Legion formed.
Robert Victor Grosvenor, 3rd Lord Ebury, died in December.
1922 Redheath sold to 4th Lord Ebury for £27,000.
St Joan of Arc Convent and School moved into The Elms in Rickmansworth High Street.
The newly formed Rickmansworth and District Omnibus Coy erected a bus garage in Park Road, Rickmansworth (later Wrights Garage).
1923 Moor Park Ltd opened the Moor Park Club with 3 golf courses, 12 tennis courts and 2 croquet lawns.
British Legion Club House in Ebury Road opened.
Sandy Lodge Halt on the Metropolitan Railway Line renamed Moor Park and Sandy Lodge station.
1924 Salter's Brewery in Rickmansworth ceased production after being taken over by the Cannon Brewery of Clerkenwell.
1925 Mr Colin Taylor, President of the Rickmansworth Traders Association since its inception, died in March.
Metropolitan Railway electrified frorn Harrow to Rickrnansworth.
Rickmansworth Sand and Gravel Coy formed to extract gravel from Bury Lake
Rickmansworth Fire Brigade taken over by Rickmansworth UDC.
1926 Rickmansworth Park estate sold to the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls by Viscountess Barrington.
Morelands Concession was formed to continue the development of Loudwater estate.
The Women's Section of the Rickmansworth Branch of the Royal British Legion formed.
1927 A purpose-built cinema, The Picture House, was constructed on the yard of the former Salter's Brewery.
Twenty acres of Rickmansworth Park given to the town by the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls.
A slight earthquake shock was felt in Rickmansworth during August.
1928 Floods in Park Road, Church Street, Norfolk and Harefield Roads in January.
Stephen Beeson elected President of the Rickmansworth Traders Association.
Loudwater estate bus service started with a fare of 2d from Loudwater to Rickmansworth station.
1929 Tom Bevan retired after 35 years as headmaster of Rickmansworth Church of England Primary School.
The Town Hall Coy was wound up, and the building sold, June 1930.
Rickmansworth UDC became Lord of the Manor of Rickmansworth.
Land for Woodcock Hill cemetery bought from Moor Park Ltd.
Rickmansworth Ratepayers, Rentpayers & Property Owners Association formed in March.
1930 Basing House and Gardens acquired for £10,000 by Rickmansworth UDC after Dr Henderson's death, for use as Council offices.
16th July The foundation stone for the Royal Masonic School for Girls laid by the Duke of Connaught KG.
Merchant Taylors Livery Company purchased 270 acres of the Moor Park estate in order to move their school out of London.
1931 Bury Gardens acquired by Rickmansworth UDC.
Census: Rickmansworth UDC population: 11,529
Chorleywood UDC population: 3,308
10th October Cloisters Hall opened by Revd F H Everson, minister of the Methodist Church.
1932 Francis Egerton Grosvenor, 4th Baron Ebury of Redheath died.
Loudwater Farm, a stretch of the River Chess and the Pest Farm sold to Royal Masonic Institution for Girls.
Moussec Ltd moved into The Maltings, High Street, Rickmansworth. (Site now known as Cloisters House).
1933 Fotherley Almshouses demolished and Woolworths store opened on the almshouses site.
1934 Royal Masonic School for Girls was officially opened by HM Queen Mary on 27th June.
Rickmansworth Gas Coy was transferred to the Watford and St Albans Gas Coy for a payment of £25,593.
Rickmansworth Traders Association changed its name to Rickmansworth and District Chamber of Trade.
Opening of Rickmansworth By-pass between Chorleywood Road and Park Road.
1935 Rickmansworth Urban DC and the Rural DC merged. Together they had a population of 13,390, an area of 7,639 acres and 3,804 houses.
Merchant Taylors School opened at Sandy Lodge.
The manorial, canal & river bridges at Batchworth over the Colne, canal & Chess were rebuilt at a cost of £13,000.
Money Hill Estate bought by Mr Percy Dalton, for £4,800 and resold to Mr James Evett for £5,125.
1936 A senior elementary school for the Rickmansworth district was opened at Mill End with Mr Ralph Whiteman as headmaster.
The Odeon cinema opened in Rickmansworth on 27th January by Cllr. J.J.Middleton, Chairman of Rickmansworth UDC.
12th October - Rickmansworth Horticultural Society founded.
Albert Freeman retired, having been surveyor to Rickmansworth UDC since 1898 and to Rickmansworth Parish Council before that.
1937 Rickmansworth UDC purchased 350 acres of Moor Park estate including the Mansion for £340,000 with the help of neighbouring authorities.
Maple Lodge Farm purchased to construct a sewage farm after the Colne Valley Sewerage Act was passed.
Moor Park Mansion and grounds leased to Moor Park Golf Club Ltd for 40 years.
1939 During the period of the conflict a Red Cross shop operated in Station Road Bury Lane ditch filled in.
Moor Park mansion and grounds requisitioned for the HQ of the Territorial Army.
The Bury was purchased by Hertfordshire County Council for £11,000 and used during the war as an administrative centre for Civil Defence.
1940 Rickmansworth section of the St John Ambulance Brigade formed.
Rickmansworth NALGO branch formed.
1941 Aquadrome requisitioned by War Department for army exercises at a rental of £3,500.
1942 Rickmansworth and Chorleywood adopted the destroyer HMS Paladin with money raised in Warships Week.
1943 Hertfordshire CC started a full time library service in Rickmansworth with Miss J. Hoyle (Mrs J Woodward) as librarian.
York House School move into Money Hill House from premises in Cedars Avenue & Meadow Way.
1944 Rickmansworth Players formed.
1945 Rickmansworth and Chorleywood Division of St John Arnbulance Brigade formed in November.
VJ-Day Thanksgiving service held in Rickmansworth Park.
1946 King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited the Royal Masonic School for Girls, Rickmansworth.
Outbreak of foot and mouth disease at Stockers Farm.
1948 Rickmansworth Darby and Joan Club founded.
1949 Women's Voluntary Service (WVS) bought Croxley House to use as a residential club for 23 elderly people.
A Bronze Age archaeological find was made in Rickmansworth.
1950 Albert Freeman died. He was associated with local government in Rickmansworth for 50 years.
1951 Census: Rickmansworth UDC population: 24,508; area: 7639 acres.
Maple Lodge Sewage Treatment Works opened in May serving an area of 150 square miles.
Penn Plaque unveiled at Basing House by the Hon William L Batt, Minister in Charge, ECA Mission to the UK.
Parsonage Farm sold after the death of Henry Gibson.
1952 Watford to Rickmansworth Railway closed to passenger traffic in March.
New police station opened by the Home Secretary, Sir David Maxwell Fyfe an the junction of Uxbridge and Rectory Roads.
Mill End junior school opened by Herts CC on the William Penn school site with Wilfred Broughton as headmaster.
1955 The first Rickmansworth Week.
Queen Elizabeth II visited The Royal Masonic School for Girls in Rickmansworth Park.
1957 Rickmansworth Odeon in the High St. closed.
William Penn Secondary School opened in Shepherds Lane.
1961 Electrification of the Met line to Amersham and Chesham, the last steam-hauled Met train ran between Rickrnansworth and Amersham.
1962 Church St Railway station and sidings closed to goods traffic.
1963 The Water Splash (Town Ditch) in Bury Lane bridged over.
1964 The Artists Rest Home and the other properties on Solomons Hill demolished and Penn Place shopping precinct & Ashleigh Court built.
1965 Odeon cinema demolished.
The Bury Restaurant (a wartime British Restaurant) closed.
1966 The Swan P.H. demolished.
Swannell & Sly offces (the Bell P.H. before 1912) demolished and replaced by Northway.
1968 York House School moved from Money Hill House to Redheath, Sarratt lane.
The new Rickmansworth Public Library opened by C.G.Ransome-Williams, Clerk to the UDC.
1972 The Limes demolished, Watersmeet built on the site:
1973 Lord Eburys railway line taken up and the station building demolished.
The Tythe Barn , Croxley Hall Farm, restored.
Work on the North Orbital Road about Rickmansworth & Watford (M25) commenced.
1974 Three Rivers District Council came into being officially.
1980 John Dickinson's Croxley Paper mill closed.
1981 Chiltern Open Air Museum opened.
1983 Godfrey Cornwall, the founder-Chairman of the Rickmansworth Historical Society died.
1984 The Methodist Church in the High Street demolished.
1987 Three Rivers Museum established on the initiative of Eddy Parrott.