New Displays

Sir Henry Wood (1869-1944), conductor, who was closely associated with the London Promenade concerts ('the Proms') which he conducted for 50 years. He lived in Chorleywood for many years where he engaged in his passion for woodwork but also entertained many of the leading composers of the day including Arnold Bax, Leos Janacek and Dame Ethel Smyth.  This year we celebrate the 150th anniversary of his birth.

George Eliot (1819-90), one of the leading writers of the Victorian era, who lived for a time at The Elms in Rickmansworth where she completed her famous novel Daniel Deronda.  She took this pen name to disguise the fact that she was a woman; her real name was Mary Ann Evans.  This year we celebrate the bicentenary of her birth.

Scotsbridge House, once the home of Vice Admiral The Hon. Josceline Percy (1784-1856) who served with Admiral Lord Nelson.

Recent acquisitions.  Come and see our display of recently-acquired artefacts, including an Express Dairy milkman's jacket from the 1960s.

New chronology boards containing key dates in the history and development of Abbots Langley, Carpenders Park, Chorleywood, Croxley Green, Sarratt and South Oxhey.

Croxley Great Barn Tours  

2019 opening dates :  The Museum facilitates visits to the Barn, generally on the last Saturday morning of each month from April to October. Dates for 2019 have now been confirmed. They are:

27 April  ~  25 May* ~  29 June  ~  27 July  ~  31 August  ~  28 September  ~  26 October

* On 25 May the Barn will also be open in the afternoon

The visit includes a talk on the history of the barn and its form of construction, and also allows inspection of the interior, so please allow up to two hours for the visit.

It is not necessary to pre-book a visit on these dates but those wishing to visit should assemble at St Joan of Arc car park, Rickmansworth High Street, WD3 1HG by 10.45am. It is a 10-15 minute walk from the car park to the barn, which has a rough floor and the footpath may be muddy if wet, so appropriate footwear is recommended.

For further information, telephone 01923 772325 or e-mail

Click here if you wish to download a flyer to serve as a reminder.

To see a video of the inaugural opening click here