The home of the Chartists in Hertfordshire
Until 1846 Herringsgate Farm, about 100 acres in extent, was part of the estate of Lord Ebury, one of a number of farms in this part of Hertfordshire. It was bought by the Chartist Feargus O’Connor to form the nucleus of his scheme to provide land to be owned (or at least occupied) by working people so that they could qualify for the vote under the Reform Act of 1832.
The story of the subsequent settlement and of the resulting village is told in detail in the book by Ian Foster CHORLEYWOOD, CHENIES, LOUDWATER & HERONSGATE: a social history (Manticore Books, 2007). More of the story, and images to illustrate it, will be placed here as the website develops.